Customer service is a key strategic function of your funeral home business, working hand-in-hand with marketing and sales. Your community outreach and advertising investments create a brand promise to urge families to consider your funeral home. Here’s how to determine if the customer service experience you provide upholds that promise.
Be the provider your community demands.
Your potential customers have a constantly growing list of options, and it’s more important than ever to create a compelling case for why you are the best choice. To offer the most effective customer service, you need to understand what the members of your community want – and how they perceive you.
Homesteaders offers market research that provides valuable insight into the opinions of your local audience. Data from these studies helps you identify your strengths and weaknesses in customer service. (Contact your account executive for details about this service.)
Be your own secret shopper.
The next step is to put information about your market into action. Consider all the ways a customer experiences the brand you promise in your marketing. Here are just a few:
- Call your phone. Who answers? What do they say? How do they say it?
- Listen to your hold music. Is it aligned with the brand you promote?
- Read and listen to your voice message. Is it clear and concise? If someone leaves a message, do they know how soon you will call them back?
- Take a fresh look at your team to be sure they have all of the skill sets needed to communicate with your families in person, in writing and over the phone.
- Look at your website. Are the look and content aligned with your brand promise?
- Do you offer email correspondence? Emails should be as professional in form, tone and grammar as a letter or a conversation.
By actively managing your service as a key element in your funeral home strategy, you effectively generate and validate your reputation and your referrals. You build trust in your community by meeting the expectations you set for customers every time they interact with you. This in turn supports ongoing business and your bottom line.
Krista Frank is the Senior VP - Customer Service of Homesteaders Life Company. Her experience in insurance and financial services offers a wealth of innovation and expertise in support of Homesteaders' goal to elevate customer satisfaction and funeral home success. Click here to learn more about the leadership team at Homesteaders.