The 2023 National Funeral Directors Association International Convention & Expo is fast-approaching, and we’re excited about all there is to see and do at this year’s convention in Las Vegas, Nevada!
If you’re joining us in Las Vegas, we hope you’ll be able to set aside some time to enjoy the sights and experience the culture of this fabulous city. Keep reading to discover our top-five tourist to-dos, plus a few bonus convention highlights you won’t want to miss:
1. Attend a Show
Las Vegas is known for showcasing the biggest talents in the world, from rising stars to legendary icons. If you have a free night while you’re in town for the convention, gather some colleagues to enjoy unparalleled entertainment. Find a show that interests you here.
2. Enjoy a Delicious Meal
If you want to do Las Vegas right, you need to eat. Las Vegas offers a unique and diverse dining scene representing cuisines from all over the globe. Check out this list of essential restaurants to try while in town.
3. Check Out Local Tourist Attractions
Did you know Las Vegas is one of the top tourist cities in the United States? Even if it won’t be your first time visiting, here are a few hot spots we recommend visiting:
- “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign: Since 1959, this sign has become a destination for Las Vegas visitors, and the best part is it’s free to visit!
- Las Vegas Strip: Take a cruise down the Las Vegas Strip to see some of the city’s most iconic landmarks, including the Bellagio fountains, the Eiffel Tower at Paris, Las Vegas, the pyramid and sphinx at the Luxor Hotel & Casino and The Venetian’s Grand Canal.
- High Roller Observation Wheel: Take a ride on the High Roller, the tallest Ferris wheel in North America, for a unique, bird’s-eye view of the Las Vegas Strip.
4. Go Shopping
Planning to leave a little extra room in your suitcase so you can shop while you’re in town? Las Vegas offers the usual outlets, malls and designer shops, but the city also has a lot of stores you won’t see elsewhere. Discover the ten best places to go shopping in Las Vegas.
5. Spend Time Outdoors
If you’re looking to get out of the city, there are quite a few outdoor experiences and historic landmarks to see. Here are our top three recommendations:
- Red Rock Canyon: Just a 30-minute drive from Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon features a one-way 13-mile scenic drive, over 20 hikes and trails, plants and wildlife and so much more. Learn more about the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area here.
- Hoover Dam: The Hoover Dam, a concrete arch-gravity dam in the Black Canyon of the Colorado River, on the border between Nevada and Arizona, is approximately a 50-minute drive from Las Vegas. This historic dam is the highest concrete arch dam in the U.S. and one of our country’s Seven Modern Civil Engineering Wonders. Find more information and tour options here.
- Grand Canyon: Visiting the Grand Canyon would be a great addition to your trip if you’re planning to stay a few extra days. The Grand Canyon National Park — a World Heritage Site and one of the most spectacular examples of erosion — is about a six-hour drive from Las Vegas. Learn more about the Grand Canyon and find tour information here.
Bonus: 2023 NFDA Convention Highlights
Since you’ll be spending quite a bit of time at the Las Vegas Convention Center, here are a few additional highlights we encourage you to take advantage of while attending the 2023 NFDA convention:
Listen to the Keynote Speakers
This year’s keynote speaker lineup is packed with great speakers and thought-provoking topics. During Monday’s opening session, join author and Harvard Medical School visiting scholar Suneel Gupta for a keynote on accelerating your performance without experiencing burnout.
On Tuesday, world-class drummer, speaker and author Mark Schulman will speak on how to control your attitude, and you’ll walk away with a blueprint for overcoming obstacles, driving performance and energizing your work and personal life.
To wrap up the week, Dennis Yu, CEO of BlitzMetrics, will give a closing keynote about the AI technologies revolutionizing the business landscape.
Visit Homesteaders in the Expo Hall
One of the best experiences of the NFDA International Convention & Expo is the Expo itself. NFDA’s Expo Hall is the world’s largest funeral exposition, with hundreds of leading suppliers offering the latest products and services — along with exclusive offers. You can find more details and Expo Hall hours here, and be sure to visit Homesteaders representatives at Booth 1623 to learn how we create personalized preneed programs designed just for your business. Plus, stop by our booth on Monday, September 11, from 1-4 p.m. PT to enjoy a sweet treat from our complimentary ice cream sundae bar!
We can’t wait for this year’s NFDA convention! What are you looking forward to most? Share your answer in the comments below, and find more tips on how to personalize your experience at the 2023 NFDA convention here.